What patch up? There was no fight with Aamir: Ram Gopal Varma


Look what Phoonk has started. Another film on the supernatural 1920 is a success. Aren't you responsible for promoting blind faith?
I don't think cinema influences audiences' behaviour. People being possessed by the devil was a belief that has existed long before cinema came into being. Doesn't cinema capture slices of life? If movies influenced people, after Hum Aapke Hain Koun the joint-family system should've come into vogue in a big way.

But you're endorsing supernaturalism. Isn't that against the spirit of progress?
People in our country have space in their minds for the supernatural and rational thoughts. Even the most rational mind believes in the evil eye. When an Indian NASA scientist goes abroad his mother feeds him dahi, breaks a coconut for his journey. Science and the supernatural co-exist. What happens in Phoonk happens all the time.

Isn't 1920 riding on the success of Phoonk?
I've no idea. I haven't seen 1920. Horror is a neglected genre in India. In Japan, Thailand and Korea, horror is the mainstay of their cinema.

But we in this country blindly ape western trends. Use universal emotions. They'll never fail. We're always wondering whether we should've songs, or whether we should look like American films. Also in horror the aura is created mainly through the imagination and the performances and that's tough.

Besides I don't make horror films. They rely on gore. I hate that. I make scary films. These play with the audiences' imagination.

So you are making Phoonk 2 ?
I am definitely making Phoonk 2. The main star is the crow. It carries the story forward.The sequel goes back to the same family. But with additional characters.

It will start with Zakir Husain's character being killed by the spirit of the women Ashwini Kalsekar who practiced black voodoo. The Kannada actor Sudeep had his voice dubbed for Phoonk. He's learning Hindi intensely for the sequel so he can speak his own lines.

Are you still dazed by the success of Phoonk?
What makes the audience want to watch a film is a mystery. Everyone thought Rock On would've a very limited appeal. Nobody knows what works. Flops have happened to me before. So have hits. I just need to make films, As far as I'm concerned Phoonk is over. I've no patience with post-mortems.

Aren't you enjoying the success of Phoonk?
I enjoy making films. Not throwing parties and drinking champagne. And I value constructive criticism more than praise.

Wouln't you have preferred to produce Phoonk yourself?
I've never produced a film in my life. I've always collaborated with big production houses. I've been a producer by default. I was impressed by the producers of Phoonk. They're the best company I've worked with.They spent an unlimited amount on the publicity and marketing.

Were you confused when Phoonk clicked so quickly after Contract flopped?
It happens all the time in the entertainment business. Take my Aag. It had huge stars. Everyone was shocked by its low opening.

Everyone thought Sholay would bring the audiences in. I now realize the interest level of audience between 13 and 30 in Sholay was very low. Prashant Raj who starred in Aag hadn't seen Sholay. It's a far more popular film inside the film industry than with the young audience.

If all the people who said Aag was a bad film had seen it, it'd have been a super-hit. Aag-bashing became a popular industry.

You had 3 releases in two months as director. Aren't you overdoing it?
I didn't make these films in two months, did I? It's just that they were released one after another. The release of Sarkar Raj was delayed. I had free time on hands. Since the only thing I do is make films and since I had the scripts of Contract and Phoonk ready I decided to make these films.

Didn't this crowd bother you?
I'm totally convinced that audiences don't care about the director's name in the credit titles. If they did Contract would've taken an opening after the success of Sarkar Raj and after Contract Phoonk should've been boycotted.

I don't think Ram Gopal Varma was the issue at all. At best a brand director creates interest in a project. But it doesn't determine how many people will watch that film.

Why are you constantly attacking mediapersons on your blog?
It's the other way around. It's the media that bashes me all the time. That's because I've a release every 2-3 months. At least I now have a platform to express my thoughts clearly. Eventually my thought-processes have to zero in on individuals.

Why do you take offence to critics not liking your films?
When I review the reviews there's personal malice involved. But when someone writes a review without understanding the film I've the right to object. I've the right to an opinion as much as the other person.

You say one critic blasted your films because you rejected her script?
I didn't say that. All I said is, if in spite of all her efforts she can't make one film what is her qualification to blast films day in and day out? I just have conversations on the blog.

Many people think you're getting even on your blog with your enemies?
How can I get even on my blog? Eventually people will see my film or not see it regardless of what I write on my blog.

How often do you blog?
Whenever I've the time. Maybe once every two days. I now have the chance to talk about the influences that shaped the way I am. See when a journalist puts my thoughts forward he will bring in his own personality. On the blog it's just me and my thoughts.I'm very fond of the blog. And won't give it up.

After Contract are you done with the underworld?
I never saw Satya as a beginning, Company as a continuation and Contact a culmination. I was repeatedly saying they're all a different aspect of the underworld. They aren't a trilogy.

And I will go back to the underworld if another aspect of it appeals to me. The failure of Contract wasn't a shock. I've had many failures in the past. If I can make another underworld I'll try to make it more interesting.

The subject could've been made like Munich or Rambo. I chose to make Contract like Rambo set on a very realistic pattern. It didn't go down well with the audience.

Finally you've patched up with Aamir Khan?
What patch up? There was no fight. We haven't met. I'm not doing any film with him.
For Gossips And Mirch Masala Log On To Bollywood Paradize
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "What patch up? There was no fight with Aamir: Ram Gopal Varma"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...