My only close friend in the industry is Rekha: Hema Malini


Hema Malini caught in a zingy mood on her birthday.

Ageless, timeless, classic beauty….All these descriptions of Bollywood's resident dream-girl evaporate when you speak to the graceful beauty.

So matter-of-point to-the-point and comfortable in her space, you wonder is this the woman whom they called the only female superstar, who took no nonsense from any of her male colleagues and resurrected careers of many slumping male superstars from Rajesh Khanna in Premnagar to Manoj Kumar in Sanyasi.

On her birthday Subhash K Jha chats up with the ageless diva.

So what makes this birthday so special?
You tell me. People like you make it special for me.Believe it or not, I didn't know what a birthday was until I was 16 years old. I don't remember any birthday party as a child.

Even that 16th birthday party was organized by my producer Ananthswamy who discovered me for Hindi cinema in Sapnon Ka Saudagar. It was when he insisted that I have a birthday party I realized, 'My God, birthday mein party hota hai kya?'

What do you mean?
My mother never celebrated my or mine or my brother's birthday. I don't know why! Looking back it seems so funny. Sad, no? I think birthdays are big in North India, not so big in the South.

So after 16 you became addicted to birthday parties?
Once you become a star everyone is eager to celebrate your birthday. There would be a cake on the sets, co-artistes singing for me. I started looking forward to my birthdays.

So how are you bringing in your birthday this year ?
It started nicely enough two evening earlier with the Mahurat of Ek Thi Rani Aisi Bhi where I play Rajmata Scindia. I met Vinod Khanna, my parliamentarian -colleague who plays my co-star. He's looking so good these days.

We had done one of my favourite films Meera together many years ago. Now we're doing another film in the same Rajasthani ambience.

You haven't changed at all since Meera.
Neither has Vinod Khanna.

What about the birthday party?
I've kept that for Saturday when I'll be back from Tirupathi after my annual birthday visit with all my relatives. I like to have a birthday party every year for which family and close friends are invited.

Everyone is so busy with their life. Sab ek saath milte hain achha lagta.This is the one time during the year when I'm able to meet all the people who matter to me.

And who are they?
My close friends are all from outside the industry, except Rekha. I'll only call her. We're very fond of each other for years. We've been colleagues and friends for decades. I've invited her. I hope she comes.

Who's planning the party?
Esha and Ahana. Everything is being organized by them while I'm off to Tirupathi with about 15 of my relatives including the brother.

Will Dharamji be there at the party?
Of course he will. What do you mean? He has to be there.

And your fans, how do they connect on your birthday?
There're some fans for years who would go crazy if I don't let them wish me. I make it a point to take their call on my birthday. There's a lady from Nasik Lata Shirke. She's so fond of me. She sends all kinds of gifts like perfumes. I truly value this kind of love. And when you say no one in the industry speaks badly of me I feel my life is worth it.

When you visit Tirupathi on your birthday what will you be praying for?
I hardly have anything to ask for. I just want to be doing the right things in life. And to create new opportunities for myself. I can feel God with me all the time.Also I'd like to produce a film with Esha in the lead. I don't know why that isn't happening as quickly as I want.

What gift would you like this birthday?
Some new level of excitement in my life? Can you suggest something.

For Gossips And Mirch Masala Log On To Bollywood Paradize
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "My only close friend in the industry is Rekha: Hema Malini"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...